Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Breaking Up Writers Block


There is a lot to be said for writing through that writer's block. For months I have struggled, worried, sweated about how I would make my series (the first book) into a stand-alone novel. Because, as we all know, if you aren't published that's the best way to get your start.

There was no way. I couldn't do it. No matter how many edits or revisions I did. I couldn't bring myself to cut off my left...knuckle, and blow what I thought was the best chance at adding my other beloved MS to the series pile. So, as in my last post, I took the advice of Bree Despain and many others who have said that your first novel is your practice novel and put it aside and start something else.

At first I was only partially serious about this. I wrote notes on (perhaps) writing a children's PB. I still love the idea, but I'm not salivating over it as yet. I tried that twice.

Then, today, I had an epiphany: I REALLY NEED TO START OVER.

Yes.

That is what I must do.

Well, I tried thinking of ideas. Brainstorming. I went back over some old ideas I had once in a fleeting moment, mused over. I thought and thought. (Basically, I just sat at my desk and stared at a blank notebook all day until I began to see twin, hazy computer screens). 

What was I going to do?


How could I even start writing if I couldn't even come up with a concrete idea?

Well, I was desperate after about three hours of nothing more than blinking away ideas. So, I got serious. I thought, 'What if this idea stinks? Who cares? I'm going to just write and see if the ideas flow.'

And FLOW they did! Holy writer's-rush batman!

The ideas kept pouring as fast as I could write them. And now, sitting in front of me on a sparkly red pad (okay it's not sparkly, YET!) I now have three whole pages of an entire, workable, plot that I didn't have this morning. And not only that, but I'm actually very very excited about this story!

Stay tuned.

And if you are in my shoes, let me know. I like hearing others' stories!

But seriously, I am excited and it just goes to show that you should listen to the powers that be. They know what they're talking about. So, if you have writer's block. Try it out. Take out a shiny new pile of paper and scribble away. Even if it isn't the story of your dreams, it may just spark something supremely better.


HA! I knew writer's block was too horrible to be true. And I knew I just couldn't sit back and not write. Bah hahaha. What was I thinking, really?


PS. I am excited to see that so many people from all over the world have taken an interest in, at least, peaking at this blog. Please make yourselves known, pull up a chair, and tell me a little about yourself! I love to meet new people, especially if you share a love of reading/writing!

2 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

Awesome! So glad it's flowing for you. I feel your pain. The book I just finished so doesn't end. It's more like a bridge. Le sigh.

storyqueen said...

I am all for opening the blank page and just playing around a bit. I get my best ideas that way!

Shelley