Monday, August 11, 2014

Research!

Just a quick stop-in to say 'hi'.

Here's something exciting I learned while doing research for my MC...

Question: Have you ever felt like you could never find the right person to talk to? I mean a professional type to research and glean certain info from? Well, I'm here as proof that it can be done. I'll admit I'm a pretty lazy person sometimes, at least when it comes to talking to people I don't know well or know at all. Shy party of ONE here.

Anyway, I did it! I found an impossible to find person. A NAVY SEAL! Well, former Navy SEAL. (You shouldn't be able to find current ones because their identity needs to be secret for obvious reasons). He lives just a few blocks away! AND he's willing to talk to me! I'm so stoked about this because I've read so much, but you can only get so far that way. Talking to someone who's been there is the best way to get what you need to form a realistic character.

http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seals-photos.html#.U-j46fldXpV
These guys are my heros!


So, that's my news. Have you needed a professional to talk to for a character profile? Were you able to find one? How did you go about it?

As silly as it sounds, all I had to do was be open with someone I was talking to. Be myself and let them know what I was doing and they helped with the rest. Stupid, I know. Maybe you don't have that problem. Maybe you're super outgoing, but for all those who aren't, keep trying! You can do it!

No comments: