Saturday, April 9, 2011

Book Review: MY FAIR GODMOTHER

Sorry, this picture isn't big enough. I wanted to make it so big that you couldn't ignore it. (but, alas, my computer is going the way of the dodo).
*
*
*
* *
* * *
*  *  *  *
*   *   *   *   *
*    *    *    *    *    *
Okay, this is a little better. (ps. The top one has the link so you can go right to Amazon right now and get this book. pss. those star-thingies are supposed to be glitter, showering us with a better image...okay, maybe not so much...but hey, I tried)

MY FAIRY GODMOTHER is one of the best books I have ever read! I LOVE this book. I think everyone should go out and buy a copy right now, it is that good. To let you know, I read it in less than 24 hours!

Here's the blurb from Amazon:


Finding your one true love can be a Grimm experience!


After her boyfriend dumps her for her older sister, sophomore Savannah Delano wishes she could find a true prince to take her to the prom. Enter Chrissy (Chrysanthemum) Everstar: Savannah’s gum-chewing, cell phone–carrying, high heel-wearing Fair Godmother. Showing why she’s only Fair—because she’s not a very good fairy student—Chrissy mistakenly sends Savannah back in time to the Middle Ages, first as Cinderella, then as Snow White. Finally she sends Tristan, a boy in Savannah’s class, back instead to turn him into her prom-worthy prince. When Savannah returns to the Middle Ages to save Tristan, they must team up to defeat a troll, a dragon, and the mysterious and undeniably sexy Black Knight. Laughs abound in this clever fairy tale twist from a master of romantic comedy.

This book is a wild ride of laughs and romance. I absolutely loved it from start to finish and have NOTHING that I can say is wrong with it (which is good, otherwise I wouldnt' be able to--according to my review-book-of-ethics--do a review on it). If you want a good book to study for the craft, or are simply looking for some great entertainment, then read this book. Janette Rallson is perfect in her writing abilities (and I don't say that lightly, I'm actually a hard critic of the books I read), she's witty, sincere, has a tremendous voice which carries through the entire book, and keeps you hopping each step of the way. I seriously thought I had this book figured out at the end and didn't. You don't figure the mystery of the plot out until the character does. And although some books with a lot of humor sort of take you out of the plot, focusing on how funny the author is, and pull away the perverbial curtain, Janette makes you stick with the character.
 
I was sucked into this book from the beginning. And to tell you a little about it and not give it away, here is how I saw it mapped out:
 
First, you have the fairy godmother's POV as she tries to explain humans (which, of course is hilarious). You're not sure who she was sent to help, Savannah or Jane (sisters) which is a nice twist. The girl (Savannah) who looks like she has it all, in fact ends up with nothing, which is why Chrysanthemum Everstar, Fairy Godmother in training, is sent to help out. The first part of the book focuses on Jane's side and then shows Savannah's side in losing her boyfriend to her big sister. Then she goes through all sorts of mishaps as her 'fair' godmother tries to grant her wishes. (in all the wrong ways) It's all a big mess when Savannah goes back to the Middle Ages to take the place of fairy tale princesses, but she's stuck with the bad parts for a good portion of the book. Savannah learns all sorts of lessons, including how to tell the truth (or you'll have very severe consequences), and realizes she wasn't as dumb as everyone thought she was. It's sweet and perfect with it's own fairtale ending that you'll get all swoony over. (Trust me!)
 
 
Now I can't wait to read the next book! Which, btw comes out very ver soon, so be sure to go get your copy(s) of this book (series). It will be worth every penny!

2 comments:

Cheryl Hart said...

Wow! With a glowing review like this, how can I NOT read this. I've placed it in my Goodreads 'to be read' list. Thanks for the fabulous info.

I'll let you know when I read it. :)

Anonymous said...

I've seen this before. I need to check if it's on my wish list or not.