Tuesday, April 20, 2010

First Page Dos and Don'ts

I had a humbling experience today. For months (okay, maybe years), I have struggled getting my first page/chapter down to a perfect form. This has been frustrating. I write an inspiring opening scene, add beautiful prose and voila!

A MESS!


Why is it a mess? Because the scene I just wrote belongs in the middle of the book, or no where at all.


Did I give up? No, of course not. I kept revising, editing, taking out, putting something new in. Then...my cousin Andrea Pearson, author of The Key of Kilenya sent me a 'Tweat' of a very helpful website. Granted, I have found several (see side panel), but this one came at just the exact moment I needed it. The website, How to Get Published, had a post today called : How to Grab Them on Page One. I read it, took notes and then skipped back to another even more helpful post called: Garlic Breath, or What Not to Do on Your Opening Page


Very insiteful. Very helpful, and yet everything I should have known before.


Note: I was breaking all but ONE of the rules! 


Plan: Completely re-write my first chapter(s)


Now, aren't you glad you can learn from my mistakes? I'm sure I am *giggle* Stay Tuned for--THE AMAZING BLUNDERS OF KATHRYN ROBERTS!

3 comments:

MBW aka Olleymae said...

Ha. The best thing to do about our blunders is laugh at them. and learn.

I'll have to check out the post you linked to. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love your blog! What an awesome background!!!

Good luck rewriting the first chapter!!! Right now I love my first chapter but we will see what I think when my crit group hands back the first chapter on Wednesday *bites nails*

Kathryn Packer Roberts said...

Thanks Jen!