Monday, July 11, 2011

The magic of writing (& MORE HARRY POTTER)

Just a quick note to y'all today and then I'll share a great video that goes along with my last post. 

I don't know what it is about dealing with a daunting scene. The climatic scene of my WIP has been staring me down for some time now. I always thought I had it mapped out fairly well, but now that I'm there it's scares me to write it because I'm afraid that all I've been building towards for so long is going to fall flat. I have twists and bumps, but how do I know that what is in my head will work when it's written down on paper?

OUTLINE!

Following my own advice, even when I know it will work, is sometimes tough. Today I had to literally force myself to sit down and map out the climax. And boy am I glad I did. I feel so much better. My process for doing it was simple. I used a  '*' for the twists in this scene and a large dot for the places where everything goes wrong. The bumps in the road, I call them, where the MC thinks she has everything worked out and then something screws that up for her.

So, whenever I find a scene that is difficult for me, the best way to get over it, or around it, is just to WRITE.

And now for the good part:





1 comment:

M Pax said...

I get the fear.

Get something down and consider it a lump of clay. Then you add, take away, mold and tweak until it does what you want it to do.

You'll do great :)