Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I wonder...

There has been an overload of coverlove lately on the writerlyweb. And it has made me wonder something. With the book I'm writing I deliberately put 'stuff' into it so that when it IS published (and it WILL be...it better be) the creative people at *name that publisher* will use it and make my book look as good as some of the books covers I LOVE. I wonder if it will work. Let's hope. =)

Here are a few, just to give into the fad of sharing my love for cover art, of the ones that I love...










So, can you tell I have a thing for awesome dresses? Trust me, these aren't the only covers I love, but you can see a trend. This last one, Wither, I think is my favorite of the bunch. So, Publishers, if you're listening...this is what I want! =) Take notes. Oh yes, I'm sure they are scrabling for a pencil right as we speak.

What kind of covers do you like? I've heard tell of people in faraway lands (like California? Or somewhere strange like that) who don't like head shots on their covers. What do you think? Would you like/dislike having someone's face on the cover of your book? For me, I actually like it. You can relate better to a person whose eyes you see.

Of course I say that, and then you'll notice my mock-cover as the header of my blog with a girl whose head is cut off. But that's on purpose to play off the title, JSYK (Just so you know).

4 comments:

Bonnie @ A Backwards Story said...

I LOVE beautiful covers. Seriously LOVE. I think Wither by Lauren DeStefano and Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey are my two favorite covers of 2011 so far. They're GORGEOUS. I love all of the covers you posted. I'm a sucker for a pretty dress!

David P. King said...

They say people shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but you know we all do. Some of the best selling books out there are great covers.

Btw, loving your layout and the little pitch for your work in progress. I'm already wanting to know what this "secret" is all about. I look forward to more.

Kathryn Packer Roberts said...

A Backwards Story: Yes, dresses are a must. I'm in that mode right now with my book. I went from writing a mostly boy book to a very femanine one.

David: Yes, it is sad that books are judged that way. I feel bad for the authors. One book I read an excerpt from (I admit ashamedly, I was about to NOT read it because it's cover was very lame), was so great. The cover didn't do it justice. I just hope I luck out and get a good publisher/team to work on mine when/if/when it is published.

Demitria said...

I love these covers too. I'm reading Wither now.

New follower...

demitrialunetta.blogspot.com